This is a classic vibrant Mauritian pickle with carrots, cabbage, green chilies and green beans. It really makes the perfect filling for your bread rolls, sandwiches or a side dish with your meals!
My dad shared this recipe with me and now I am sharing it with you lovely people!
250g cabbage, finely sliced
250g carrots, julienned
250g green beans, sliced into strips
4tbsp vegetable oil
4 green chillies, sliced into strips - more or less depending on your preference
2tbsp crushed garlic
3tbsp black mustard seeds, crushed
1tbsp tumeric powder
2tbsp white wine vinegar
1tbsp lemon juice
Salt to taste
Optional - cauliflower and onions, sliced
• Put your vegetables in salted boiling water and blanch until it is slightly cooked but still has that crunch. Drain and allow to dry out over night.
• Blend the mustard seeds, turmeric, garlic and a little bit of water.
• Heat the oil in a pan on a medium heat and add the paste. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes.
• Add vegetables and sliced green chillies, mix well, remove from heat when it's all fully coated.
• Allow to cool, then stir in the vinegar, lemon juice and salt to taste.
• Place in dry jars and store in refrigerator!
Follow Emily's Cooking on Instagram