Rougaille is a rich tomato based dish, truly a Mauritian favourite, known by many. It looks similar to my ladob but it tastes so different.
You can make this dish with lamb, salt fish, prawns, chicken and even sausages. I made mine with chicken because my prawns didn't come in my shopping delivery last night 😤
Super delicious and full of flavour with a few simple ingredients that you probably have everyday in your homes. You can also use the tomato base for flatbreads or even a pizza base. It's so delicious!
1kg chicken thighs pieces, skinless
1 large onion, sliced
Chopped tomatoes, 1 can
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped/1tsp garlic paste
1tsp ginger paste
1tsp black pepper
10 sprigs of thyme
1-2 green chilies, sliced in the middle
Handful of spring onions, chopped
Handful of corriander, chopped
Salt, to taste
• Fry chicken in a pan with some vegetable oil, fry for about 10-15 minutes. Remove chicken and set to one side.
• Using the same pan chuck in onions, garlic, ginger chilli, thyme, black pepper and spring onions. Fry for a few minutes.
• Add tomatoes and salt, cook for 5 minute's then add the chicken back in.
• Give it a good stir and cook further for 30-40 minutes.
• Sprinkle with corrinader and spring onions, served best with rice and a lentil side dish.
Follow Emily's Cooking on Instagram