I finally wrote it down!!! This is for all those who have asked for my Lamb Kalia recipe 😁 (sorry it took so long)
Kalia is a delicious Mauritian dish which is cooked with yogurt and lots of different spices! Full of richness, flavour and colour. You can serve this beauty with with rice, roti, salads, pickles and chillis. The warmth and taste of this is just so comforting. Authentic at it's finest 🤤👌🏽 You can buy already made Kalia spice mixes or you can follow my recipe below ⬇️
600g boneless lamb
1 onion, sliced
1tbsp minced garlic and ginger
2 curry leaves
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1tbsp cumin powder
1tbsp clove powder
1tsp cinnamon powder
Pinch of chilli powder
1/2tsp tumeric power
1 green chilli, sliced
Salt and pepper, to taste
300-500g natural Yogurt
1-2 potatoes, chopped and peel
1tbsp garam masala (optional)
(Marinade 1tsp cumin, clove, garlic powder, tumeric, cinnamon)
• Fry onions in vegetable oil, garlic and ginger, cloves, all spices and chilli on a medium heat.
• Add lamb and allow to brown.
• Add about 200g of natural yogurt and stir well. Sprinkle a little chopped corriander too.
• Add some water to your pot and place lid on. Keep checking and top up with water, don't worry it will reduce and help the meat become soft.
• After 1.5 hours. Add in some more natural yogurt. This depends how creamy you want it, I tend to add another 200g.
• Add your chopped potatoes and some more water if needed. Cook for another 30 minutes or longer. The meat should be super soft!
• Garnish with corinader and serve with rice or roti, salad and chilli.
BON APPETIT! 💛🍽️